About Baird & Warner
Be part of something bigger
Chicagoland is more than just a market. It’s been our home for five generations, and our management team is committed to principles of fair housing and making a difference in this great city and surrounding areas. For example, the Good Will Network has donated more than $2 million and thousands of volunteer hours to help those who need it most.
- The Name in Chicagoland Real Estate since 1855
- Fifth-Generation, Family-Owned Brokerage
- Named one of Chicago’s Top 10 Workplaces 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 (#1), 2016 (#2), 2017 (#1)
- Named the Best Real Estate Website in Chicagoland by Chicago Agent Magazine 5 of the last 6 years
- Baird & Warner is ranked in the top 25 brokerages nationwide for both units and volume in Real Trends Power 500 rankings
- Member of Leading Real Estate Companies of the World Network made up of over 500 independent brokerages
- Baird & Warner Luxury Living named best Luxury Marketing Program by Leading Real Estate Companies of the World
Highlights of Our History
1855 – The company that would become Baird & Warner records its first transaction: A $5,000 mortgage loan on Washington Street.
1871 – The Great Fire levels 79 blocks of Chicago, including the courthouse that held real estate records. Baird & Warner’s building was destroyed except the safe – which was not fireproof. It was pure luck that it survived. The documents inside helped assure titles and lot lines, making reconstruction easier.
1878 – Lyman Baird’s son, Wyllys, joins the company first as office boy, then bookkeeper, clerk and salesman before becoming a junior partner. To help maintain integrity and discourage dishonesty in real estate sales and rentals, he created what is today known as the Chicago Association of Realtors.
1897 – Chicagoland’s population continues to grow, which led to construction of more apartments to provide affordable housing. Baird & Warner made life easier for landlords with a range of services such as collecting rents, providing loans and managing real estate sales.
1928 – Baird & Warner publishes the Portfolio of Fine Apartment Homes, pioneering a whole new way of marketing. Sales agents used the 30-inch tall and lavishly illustrated book to help potential renters or buyers narrow down their choices without spending days of tiresome travel visiting each property in person.
1930s – During the Great Depression, people who lost jobs had no means of paying rent. Without rental income, property owners couldn’t meet mortgage payments. Baird & Warner helped make a difficult time easier by arranging compromises between building owners and mortgage holders.
1934 – Until this time, restricted loan terms meant only the very wealthy could afford their own home. But when the Federal Housing Authority began programs to encourage single family homeownership, Baird & Warner’s business evolved from managing buildings to managing real estate sales.
1962 – John Baird takes a stand and makes a passionate speech for fair housing at City Hall. Baird & Warner was already the largest real estate company in Chicago, so the world listened as Mr. Baird fought for anti-discrimination laws, making the dream of home ownership a reality for many while opening the city and suburbs to renewal.
1988 – Baird & Warner offers its clients an easier, “one-stop shopping” experience by integrating Key Mortgage Services into their business.
2003 – Baird & Warner establishes B&W Title Services to give clients a more seamless real estate experience through an exclusive group of local expert attorneys.
2017 – Baird & Warner Luxury Living is Named the #1 Luxury Marketing Program from more than 500 Brokerages
2017 – Baird & Warner is named No. 1 Top Workplace in Chicagoland by the Chicago Tribune – for six years in a row!
There’s so much more to Baird & Warner’s history. See for yourself with our 150th anniversary book, including photos from early days in Chicagoland. Click HERE to view the book.
Real Estate Changes. Our Reputation Doesn’t.
We’re highly respected locally and nationally by the real estate industry and by the entire Chicagoland business community. President and CEO Stephen Baird chooses to keep the company independent. This leaves him free to make decisions that support his family’s heritage of working for a better life for clients, employees and all of Chicagoland.
Life’s Short. Who Doesn’t Need Easier?
We know real estate is complicated and associated with confusion, uncertainty and anxiety. But we’re here to make it easier and provide excitement, confidence and peace of mind. To help make real estate transactions go smoother:
- We invest in our agents by giving training and coaching top priority – so clients always have a knowledgeable expert on their side
- We offer mortgage, title and other services to give clients a one-stop experience
- We have 30 office locations to better serve all communities within Chicagoland
- For each office, we select managing brokers to help agents succeed in doing what’s right for their clients
- We leverage the best-in-the-business innovations and technology, including paperless transactions
Schedule a Confidential Meeting or Ask Questions